South Point is the southernmost point of the United States of America. For the daredevils, South Point is also known for its epic cliff jump. I almost decided to give this place a miss because I thought “why bother if I don’t do the cliff jump” – Boy, was I wrong.
The breathtaking view of South Point turned out to be my top-3 favourite of our entire Hawaii trip.
If you see the windmills, you are on the right track.
We were blessed with a sunny day with blue sky. The view was truly amazing and incredibly soothing.
I was terrified to stand so close to the edge of the cliff. I am known for having clumsy feet and I didn’t trust myself enough to stand on the step of the cliff jump platform for the fear that I might trip and fall from the cliff…
Standing by the edge of this wooden structure almost felt like walking the plank!
How crazy is this. I can’t believe people actually jump from here. We hung around in the hope to see some brave souls attempting the jump, but with no luck.
Tips for visiting South Point
- South Point is also known as “Ka Lae” locally.
- Cliff jump is officially (according to the sign there) prohibited – do it at your own risk! Do check the weather and the tide conditions if you are planning the cliff jump. Only attempt the cliff jump when the conditions are right.
- There was a portable toilet in the carpark, but that seemed to be the only facility there.
- You won’t need a four wheel drive to get here. However, the carpark is unpaved so do drive carefully.
That’s the shape of the southernmost point of the United States of American sitting on the South Pacific Ocean right behind us.
Our Hawaiian adventure, to be continued!
- 【Kona】.::You, me, palm tree and sunset::.
- 【Kahaluu Bay】.::Snorkelling in the nature’s aquarium::.
- 【South Point】.::The southernmost point of the United States of America::.
- 【Punaluu Beach】 (aka Black Beach Hawaii) .::Bah bah black beach have you any turtles::.
- 【Mauna Kea】.::Sunset able the sea of clouds::.
- 【Hawaii Volcano – Lava tour】.::WE POKED RED HOT LIVE FLOWING LAVA::.
- 【Nature’s Cottage】.::a very unique Airbnb experience::.
- 【Tide Pools】.::Crystal clear champagne tide pools::.
- 【Big Island Food】.::Bubba Gump, Splasher’s Grill, Pele’s, L&L, LuQuin’s, Cafe 100::.
- 【Hanauma Bay】.::Snorkelling before the sun comes out::.
- 【Chinaman’s Hat & Kualoa Ranch】.::The ocean’s hat and Jurassic Park::.
- 【Polynesian Centre Luau】.::Hula without coconut bikini?::.
- 【Dole Plantation】.::Sweet pineapple and delicious Dole Whip ice cream::.
- 【Oahu Food】.::Teddy’s, Helena’s Hawaiian Food, Duke’s at Waikiki, Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck, Macky’s Shrimp Truck, Ted’s Bakery, Popeye, Ramen Nakamura::.
- 【Airbnb】.::A very chic retreat::.
Hi! Your blog is great and the content so useful for planning our upcoming trip to the Big Island. Thanks for sharing!
Aloha:) Thanks for the encouragement. Have fun in Hawaii!