South Point is the southernmost point of the United States of America. For the daredevils, South Point is also known for its epic cliff jump. I almost decided to give this place a miss because I thought “why bother if I don’t do the cliff jump” – Boy, was I wrong.
The breathtaking view of South Point turned out to be my top-3 favourite of our entire Hawaii trip.
If you see the windmills, you are on the right track.
We were blessed with a sunny day with blue sky. The view was truly amazing and incredibly soothing.
I was terrified to stand so close to the edge of the cliff. I am known for having clumsy feet and I didn’t trust myself enough to stand on the step of the cliff jump platform for the fear that I might trip and fall from the cliff…
Standing by the edge of this wooden structure almost felt like walking the plank!
How crazy is this. I can’t believe people actually jump from here. We hung around in the hope to see some brave souls attempting the jump, but with no luck.
Tips for visiting South Point
- South Point is also known as “Ka Lae” locally.
- Cliff jump is officially (according to the sign there) prohibited – do it at your own risk! Do check the weather and the tide conditions if you are planning the cliff jump. Only attempt the cliff jump when the conditions are right.
- There was a portable toilet in the carpark, but that seemed to be the only facility there.
- You won’t need a four wheel drive to get here. However, the carpark is unpaved so do drive carefully.
Our Hawaiian adventure, to be continued!
- 【Kona】.::You, me, palm tree and sunset::.
- 【Kahaluu Bay】.::Snorkelling in the nature’s aquarium::.
- 【South Point】.::The southernmost point of the United States of America::.
- 【Punaluu Beach】 (aka Black Beach Hawaii) .::Bah bah black beach have you any turtles::.
- 【Mauna Kea】.::Sunset able the sea of clouds::.
- 【Hawaii Volcano – Lava tour】.::WE POKED RED HOT LIVE FLOWING LAVA::.
- 【Nature’s Cottage】.::a very unique Airbnb experience::.
- 【Tide Pools】.::Crystal clear champagne tide pools::.
- 【Big Island Food】.::Bubba Gump, Splasher’s Grill, Pele’s, L&L, LuQuin’s, Cafe 100::.
- 【Hanauma Bay】.::Snorkelling before the sun comes out::.
- 【Chinaman’s Hat & Kualoa Ranch】.::The ocean’s hat and Jurassic Park::.
- 【Polynesian Centre Luau】.::Hula without coconut bikini?::.
- 【Dole Plantation】.::Sweet pineapple and delicious Dole Whip ice cream::.
- 【Oahu Food】.::Teddy’s, Helena’s Hawaiian Food, Duke’s at Waikiki, Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck, Macky’s Shrimp Truck, Ted’s Bakery, Popeye, Ramen Nakamura::.
- 【Airbnb】.::A very chic retreat::.